Sunday, August 25, 2013

Oh. My. Word...and Some Classroom Management Tips

Wow...what a CRAZY two weeks this has been.  I have now been officially initiated into the whirlwind of setting up your own classroom...how do you do this year after year?!?  I know that it was my first classroom, and that I won't have to do some of these things every year, but I feel like I still have so many things I want to do, and no more time to do it.  I talked to a couple of veteran teachers and they said that even after fill in the blank years they still feel this way.  I guess this is just part of being a teacher.

I'M A TEACHER!!!  I HAVE MY VERY OWN CLASSROOM!!!  (Can you hear me shouting from the rooftops?)  I don't feel at all nervous about school starting tomorrow, just really excited, and SO ready to begin this journey :)

And I have to tell you, I'm already IN LOVE with my new school and new colleagues!  If I had designed my own school I couldn't have made one that would be a better fit for me.  I know there will be things I don't like...there always are...but right now I feel like this is exactly where I'm supposed to be.  God is good!

We had Open House on Thursday night and I met most of my kiddos and their parents.  The kids are so sweet (one girl told me that she wished my classroom could be her bedroom...I'll post pictures later today) and the parents are WONDERFUL and very supportive...yay!

I'm going in to school to get a few last minute things done this afternoon, and then HOPEFULLY, I'll feel settled and ready for tomorrow.  AND I'll remember to take pictures of my classroom!  In all the madness I keep forgetting :(  Too much going on in my brain...it's been a blizzard in there this week...now it's slowed down to a steadily falling snow...how's that for a metaphor?)

OK...switching gears to classroom management.  I have written incredibly detailed plans for the first week of school, because I don't want to forget any of the steps that I want to take to teach my kids routines and procedures.  I know how important that is during the first weeks of school (and feel like I botched it when I did my 1st grade interim last year).  This time I want to make sure I get it right!

Has anyone read either of these books?

Both of them are on my Amazon wishlist.  I subscribed to Michael Linsin's emails last spring, and every week when it shows up in my inbox, it's always GREAT advice that is practical and doable.  This week's post is about taking the time to teach those routines and procedures...don't rush it!  Click here to read his latest post, click here to subscribe to his emails, or follow Smart Classroom Management on Bloglovin'.  You'll be glad you did!

I'll be back later today with a classroom tour...see you then!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your classroom pics! I haven't read either of those books, but Dream Class is also on my Amazon wishlist!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, I've been thinking of you this week! Yes, indeedy, setting up a classroom is super fun but exhausting too. I can't wait to see pictures and I am SO happy you are happy in your new "home". Best of luck this year!

    ReplyDelete